TOTAL ROAD CLOSURE ON ENTIRE ROUTE
WHEN AND WHERE?
Date: 5 November
Venue: Voortrekker Monument
Distances: 98KM & 60KM
ABOUT THE RACE
The City of Tshwane is opening its roads to cyclists for its first official mass participation single day road race on 5 November 2017 over distances of 98km and 60km.
Presented by ASG Events, the exciting news for the South African cycling community is that the city is closing down the route to all traffic except cyclists to ensure a totally traffic free environment.
The race starts and finishes at the Voortrekker Monument and passes by various historical landmarks in Tshwane, including Freedom Park and the Union Buildings while it also runs on the N4 out and back towards Hartbeespoort.
ASG Events currently present six other national road races. These road events are the Bestmed Berge en Dale Championship, Bestmed Tour of Good Hope, Emperors Palace Classic, the Bestmed Jock Tour and Classic as well as the Bestmed Satellite Championship.
We are proud to be associated with the City of Tshwane and delighted to be able to offer a route on which the entire race is going to be traffic free, creating a safe riding environment for cyclists.
With signature mass participation road races already being presented in all the landmark cities in South Africa, it’s wonderful that there is now an appetite with Tshwane to join them in presenting a true city cycling race.
THE NITTY GRITTY
The Tshwane Classic race village is situated centrally inside the grounds of the Voortrekker Monument. The Monument offers more than enough parking and venue infrastructure to ensure a user-friendly experience for participants.
Specific features at the race village will include:
- Massage therapists on hand to massage tired legs.
- Top-quality start/finish shoot
- Easy access to ample parking, entertainment and restroom facilities
- Spectator-friendly area
- Bike-tech area
- Kiddies race
- Exciting give-aways and competitions, including Rudy Project glasses and helmets.
Registration will take place at the following venues:
- Thursday 2 November 2017:
CycleLab Fourways from 10:00 - 18:00
- Friday 3 November 2017:
The Bicycle Company Centurion from 10:00 – 18:00
- Saturday 4 November 2017:
ASG Concept Store, 304 Achilles Rd Bronberg (Olympus), Pretoria from 09h00 – 15h00
No registration or late entries on the morning before the start of the event.
5km kiddies and celebrity race: R50
500m kiddies race: R50
Entries close at 23h59 on Monday 23 October 2017
Late line entries will only be accepted at the registration venues as indicated, not on the day of the race.
A penalty fee of R60 will be applicable for both distances.
Each rider must complete a separate entry form or enter as required online.
Please fill in your tandem-partner’s name and ID. Both Tandem riders must wear Race Tec timing chips to have a result and seeding for the event.
Timing results for both the road and mountain bike events to be done by Race Tec.
Each entrant must be in the possession of a Race Tec timing chip to receive timing.
Each cyclist must carry the Race Tec timing chip for the duration of the event.
NO CHIP: NO RESULTS, NO PRIZE MONEY, NO TROPHY.
Race Tec timing chips will be for sale at the registration venues as well as at the start at a cost of R130.00
No cyclist may use another person’s cycling number.
If you are unable to ride, someone may take your place with a letter of authorization from you.
Your entry fee will not be refunded and the substitute participant will be required to pay a fee of R60 over and above the applicable entry fee.
Distance changes will be treated as a substitution.
No substitutions will be allowed on race day, regardless of circumstance.
Your entry fee will not be refunded.
NO HELMET NO RIDE
Ample Lead and sweep vehicles will be available as well as a strong contingent from Metro Police.
All participants are deemed to have acquainted themselves with the rules and regulations and are bound to them.
Cyclists must at all times obey the instructions of the traffic officers and marshals and comply strictly with the rules of the road, unless authorized to the contrary by a traffic officer or a marshal.
Failure to comply will lead to disqualification.
Prize giving will start at the Voortrekker Monument at 12:00 or as soon after results dependant.
A lucky draw will take place.
No prize money will be handed to winners before the prize giving, regardless of circumstance.
You will forfeit the prize money / trophy if you are not present at the prize giving.
The provisional results of the event will be available within 24 hours on the website: www.racetec.co.za
Any objections must be tabled with the race organizer / referee / CSA officials within 1 hour after the finish of the race, and accompanied by a payment of R100. Further changes to the results must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 7 days after the race. NO CHANGES will be made thereafter, as they cannot be included in the National Seeding Index.
The race organizers have complete discretion in deciding whether to accept the entry of a participant. The organisers retain the right to refuse the entry of any rider should they so decide. All race results will be in the hands of the race organisers whose decision will be final, there being no right of appeal.
For any further enquiries please contact ASG Events on 076 830 5578 or email email@example.com
Route Description Tshwane Classic 98km and 60km
(60km route splits at 30km marker at N4 junction)
- 0km Start at the Voortrekker monument below the bottom gate
- Turn right into the R101
- 1.5km left into Eeufees Road
- 4.5km right into Fountains Road /becomes Christian de Wet Road
- 8.9km right into M10 Wierda Road
- 18km right into R55 / becomes Quagga Road
- 28km left into Trans Orange Road
- 30km SPLIT POINT BETWEEN 98km and 60km!
- The 98km route turns left on N4 Magalies Highway
- 60km route turns right on N4 Magalies Highway
- At 48km the 98km route turns around just after the Toll Plaza
- Both distances then join back at the split point and continue the N4
- 70km left into DF Malan Drive
- 78km right into Lavender Drive
- 79km right into Steve Biko Road
- Take left split into Johan Heyns Drive
- 84km left into Soutpansberg Road
- 87km right into Tom Jenkins Drive
- 88km right into Government Av
- Straight onto Edmond Street / becomes Struben Street
- 91.6km left into Paul Kruger Street
- 93km right into Visage Street
- 94km left into Schubert Street / becomes Kgosi Mampuru Street
- Turn left into Skietpoort Avenue
- Turn Right onto Koch Street
- 95.6km left around Freedom park
- Turn left into Voortrekker Monument
- 98km finish at Amphitheatre at Voortrekker Monument